Ok, well this has been sitting in the drafts folder long enough now. I was working on being further along with the Rabbit Hole part 3 update and be at point where I’m into follow-ups to that. Aside a little sidetrack for between part 2 and 3 though, there hasn’t been much progress with the drums since the last blog post. I’ve been putting in a lot of time on the pad and spending most of my time on the kit doing paradiddle related exercises, basic stuff, and going over older tracks. So notations and video on part 3 should be doable within the next month or so.
BDA #52, the main object of this post, is now halted in its ‘touch up and varnish’ phase (see description below) where it will remain as I work finishing up to the same point #53, and perhaps a few more.Continue reading
Here it is:
There’s a few spots to touch up then a semi-glossy finish coat or two. If I find more of these boxes I might do some more. No clue as of yet what I’m going to stuff in there, but if you want to send me some amount more money than what it’ll cost to ship it to you, I’ll stick some bubblewrap in it and send it out. Leave a message through the site’s contact page with at least some vague description of your whereabouts to start the conversation.
Right, so over two years now. Reliably executing this track correctly, with all the right parts in the right places, it’s not a thing. I’ve tolerated the bumps and blocks as my kick leg and overall independence improved. Seems like I could, still was rough and needed polish, but the snares felt soggy and boring so I rewrote them. Almost what, 1 year now since I dropped back down to training wheel speed 60bpm grinds. Staying there (excluding the occasional 90bpm full tryouts or section looping) to flattened out all the curves and wrinkles instead of progressively increasing by 1-2bpm each time as I improved, even while overall other exercises and tracks have gotten better and faster. I’d like to get a good enough recording done by now and move on. Move the fuck on already. Anyway, but which part to leave un-good-enoughed?
Dividing it down into 4 main sections, an intro, two halves each further split into 4 parts, and an outro, it’s difficult enough to play a take exactly like I wrote and learned, at 60bpm, not to mention its intended bpm of 90, wanting to have it hold some dynamics and groove without falling of the click just makes it a nightmare.
In this one: forgetting the 2nd section snare/hi-hat pass that throws back to the outro and doing a double instead, playing the b version of the kick pattern instead of the regular one in the mid-section of the 6th part. Otherwise feels kinda okay really, sounds like it should. The triplets on the hi-hat bang on, as in off-beat.
A track I’ve been working on these past few weeks. This mp3 of the midi version is pretty much its final form and an accurate transcript of what I’ll be recording in the coming days. I have some ideas for bass, chords and whatnot, but unlike Molten Dry Bips which sounded perhaps a bit too dry without the extras, drums only seems fine this time so not going to risk another disaster and shelve that thought. They’ll end up on my bandcamp page at some point. Feedback is welcomed, so are any tips and support sent.
August Tom Groove, bleedleaf 2020 (CC BY-NC-SA)
The cymbals are close but not quite like the same as what I have setup on my drum kit. The hi-hat is mainly played half-closed or so most of the time, but here I don’t delve into the editor enough to give it more variety in sounds. There’s some more snare and floor tom rimshots and assorted accents here and there too that’ll come out once I get around to recording. 80bpm is my overall maximum currently, but it’s not quite the same at that speed. Although I think it sounds best around 72bpm, it’s where I’m at in practicing my triplets on it, it holds up okay at 60bpm too, like a similar feel despite a somewhat different personality to it. Haven’t decided for sure yet, though I’m leaning towards recording it at 60bpm.
59 individual line segments with their bends, corners and curves, aligning to form a total of 60 separate shapes which are colored so as to have each shape in frame be directly adjacent to at least one of the 13 black filled spaces. 10 of them are colored blue, 9 of them red, 8 of them grey and 7 of them white. The remaining 13 shapes retain the paper background’s texture.
Badly drawn animal #50 (click thumbnail for gallery and full-size image) :
This bda, like most of them really, is not properly done justice to by the usual descriptive rundown of its main and predominant features. It’s been said about it however, in fact again like most of the other bda featured on this site, to have been known to reveal the secrets of its inner workings to one who’d dare stare at it for long enough. Or in other words, and from a certain point of view perhaps, to one who’d dare stare at it for far too much longer than is necessary.